Postdoctoral Research Scientist
Duration: Temporary for three years
Salary: £31,350 - £34,500 per annum, depending on experience
About the Role
The Moredun Group seeks a full-time postdoctoral research scientist to join the Vaccines and Diagnostics Department at its Moredun Research Institute. The successful candidate will be involved in an exciting interdisciplinary collaboration funded by BBSRC to develop an innovative, eco-friendly vaccine to combat salmon lice infestations in Atlantic salmon. This project, a partnership between Moredun Research Institute and the University of Stirling’s Institute of Aquaculture, Bimeda Animal Health, and Vertebrate Antibodies Ltd, seeks to address one of the most significant challenges facing the aquaculture industry. The focus is creating an orally administered vaccine that enhances systemic and mucosal immune responses in salmon, leveraging cutting-edge approaches like reverse vaccinology and AI-assisted antigen prediction.
You will be a highly motivated individual with appropriate laboratory experience, the ability to work independently and excellent communication skills. This position offers excellent opportunities for career development, skills training, and collaborative opportunities with project partners. The person in this position will be expected to play a role in supporting Institute infrastructure initiatives.
Interviews are planned for 1st March 2024.
The successful applicant will have:
- A PhD in an area relevant to this role, preferably with post-doctoral experience
- A background in molecular biology, immunology, and bioinformatics.
- Experience in handling and analysing large genomic/transcriptomic datasets.
- A proven ability to analyse and interpret results.
- A good record of publications and presentations at conferences
- The ability to show initiative and keep up with new developments/techniques relevant to the work.
- Willingness to travel to visit collaborator’s laboratories and collect samples from vaccination trials.
Experience in one or more of the following will be an advantage.
- Fish immunology
- Cell culture
- Reverse vaccinology
For any informal enquiries about this post, please contact Moredun's HR department on HR [at] moredun [dot] ac [dot] uk